For some moments in life, there are no words.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My "Berkin" Foot as Jadeyn says

So...Surgery Time.

It was kind of weird being on the patient side of the picture at Longmont Surgery Center since my office sends a lot of our patients there. I can say that the experience was completely positive. Kevin stayed by my side and listened to my nervous chatter as I went through the pre-op part and then I was wheeled away. Luckily we were able to to IV sedation, but I'm pretty certain I wasn't quiet during surgery, but I haven't gotten up the guts to ask what I said!

My mom was so sweet to fly out and help me and Kevin through the recovery and I was so grateful to have her there. The first afternoon after I got home we sat outside and soaked in some sun and I wasn't in any pain. Well, then the pain started. I have to admit, it hurt a heck of a lot more than I anticipated. I think the splint was the main problem putting pressure points on places it wasn't supposed to. I had three very attentive nurses: Kev, Mom and Jadeyn. Jadeyn would get a ice pack out of the fridge, put it on me, and then within a minute, go and get another one to replace it! Oh, and he kissed my foot a lot!

I'm glad I survived the week! Once I had my post op it was like a whole world of freedom opened up! I was so happy to be in a solid cast again that didn't hurt and I wasn't as afraid of damaging myself as I was in a splint. It was a relief and the pain stopped!!! We could continue with our lives! Oh, and yeah, I know this picture is backwards, I snapped a quick picture of the xray and wasn't paying attention!
I just had my two week post op appointment and go to see an beautiful xray of my screw. You can really see the break about a half in from the bottom of the screw. I is a nice lovely break snapping off the whole end of the bone.

I also got to see what three weeks of no exercise did to my leg! Here is my pathetic shriveled up calf! It so sad! and will take awhile to recover that muscle. :(
And just for kicks and giggles, here is a picture of my foot within minutes of the break. This was the instant goose egg swelling I got before the whole foot exploded.

And I have a new nickname: Hobblelot!

No comments: